January is one of my favourite months because the clock resets. A new calendar year means new opportunities and a time to put myself to the test and make some changes in my life. Of course you can do this at any point throughout the year, however, January provides a clean slate and starting off point. Although I don’t necessarily believe in “New Year’s Resolutions”, I do believe in thinking about little things you can improve upon in your life, writing them down and trying your best to see them to fruition. I really think writing your goals down is a great way to stay focused and hold your self accountable. I try to set realistic, attainable goals so that I’m not setting myself up for failure or disappointment a couple weeks in.
So here’s my list of improvements for 2018:
- In bed by 10pm, lights out by 10:30pm – My husband and I are night owls so this is actually a really tough one for me. I went with a realistic time because I knew 9pm just wouldn’t cut it with a baby and toddler. I feel like as soon as the boys are in bed I need to still clean the kitchen, do laundry, make lunch and have it ready to grab in the morning for our outing the following day, and work on some of my other consulting projects that I have on the go. What I love about a 10:30pm bedtime is that I’m also not eating past 8pm. When you stay up late you totally snack so I think this will help curb my appetite too. Bonus! I started this goal on New Year’s Eve so we will see how it goes. The first 6 months with Charlie have been a little tough in the sleep department but I’m focused on a better bedtime routine for all of us.
- Spend more one-on-one time with my husband. Spouse first, children second – This one is crucial. I can see how it’s hard to prioritize your spouse when you have young children but from what I’ve read and been told, your marriage comes first. Children need to see love and feel love and they’ll be A-Ok but it all starts with the parent’s. When our children are grown and gone and it’s just us, I still want to be best friend’s. So this year I’m focusing on more date nights! I think my husband and I have taken a handful of dates in the last 2 years since Luke was born, and I’m changing that. I’m going to aim for one date night a month.
- Focus on building our family photo albums – I take hundreds and hundreds of pictures – always have! Now that I have a blog I take even more pictures…(if that’s possible). Actually, it is possible. IPhoto just told me I can’t download any more photos to my Macbook because I’m at the 20,000 picture/video capacity. So in 2018 I’m working backwards through the years and turning all my pictures into real albums so my children actually have some memories to flip through. This is a huge job but I’m hoping to do one year a month, from when my husband and I first met in 2007. Wish me luck! I have a lot of sorting and deleting to do, and I’ve already been working on this project since the summer.
- Work out 2 times a week – I know 2 days a week doesn’t seem like much but I honestly just need to start somewhere. 3 times seems like too much right now, 1 seems like too little. We have a full blown home gym right at my fingertips but I can’t seem to figure out the best time of day to get that workout in. So, for now, my motivation for working out is going to be that I can catch up on all my reality shows during that time – Real Housewives, Bachelor, VPR, KUWTK….you get the idea. Otherwise, I can’t watch TV if I’m just sitting on the couch.
- Focus on my skin – I have zero skincare regimen but I want to change that. This is really my only goal for 2018 that I’m pretty much starting from scratch. Now that I’m getting older it’s time to start taking some preventative measures and focus on my anti-aging options. I did buy the GloPro for Christmas so I’ll keep you posted on the steps I’m taking for better skin.
- De-clutter the house, buy less things – When we moved a few years ago we went through all the boxes and did a huge purge. Fast forward 2 years later and more stuff has just snuck in and accumulated in cupboards, closets, drawers, and bags. I need to start going through our cold storage room again and get rid of things I haven’t touched in the last few years. And when I do buy something I’m going to consciously throw out 3 things to replace the 1 new item. I’m hoping that tossing out 3 significant items will make me re-think what I have an urge to buy.
- Buy more secondhand items – In the last two years I’ve bought some maternity clothes, toddler boy clothes, and children’s toys secondhand but, nowadays, there are so many more great options out there that I know I’m not even utilizing. I can definitely do better in this area. I need to think about our environment and be more fiscally responsible in 2018. Once I do more research and get into the swing of things I’ll probably do a blog post on this if you’re interested. I.e. Where to Shop for the Best Secondhand Items.
HER: Wilfred Free Wolter Sweater (colour: heather ashen) // Citizens of Humanity Rocket All Black // SOREL Women’s Winter Carnival Waterproof Winter Boot
So here’s to 2018 and making it a year of whatever YOU want it to be. The moment is yours.
What are some of the goals on your list? Would love to hear. Tell me in the comments below.
Happy New Year!
*If you found this post helpful, please click below and vote for The Shop Guide. Thank you!